we’ve been plotting away all winter for an epic 2015 season! we wanted to share our vision with you:
the pedalling pixies is a bike delivery program serving northumberland county, ontario. we provide learning and employment opportunities for youth through culinary training and food entrepreneurship.
the pedalling pixies is a social venture in support of the local food for local good foundation, which means that proceeds from our pixie projects are reinvested back into local community programs.
by getting youth on bicycles, pedalling around their neighbourhoods, we aim to achieve the following goals:
- facilitate summer employment opportunities for youth
- connect people with local food through a weekly lunch service, “pixie lunchboxes”
- coordinate a partnership program with local secondary schools where their culinary arts students curate and prepare weekly lunch menus to take to market
- provide a courier service to local restaurants, farmers markets and home-based entrepreneurs to deliver their goods to customers
- promote local food for local good’s efforts in building a sustainable pathway to food security in our community
us pixies, we believe that preparing a delicious, healthy meal should be as easy as riding a bicycle. so, gear down and try this recipe out!
1 tsp coconut oil
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup brussel sprouts (stubs cut off, each sprout cut into quarters)
7 oz of tempeh (pixie quick tip: grab a pack of marinated coconut curry tempeh from the produce aisle); cut into small cubes
1 cup diced mushrooms
- plop the coconut oil into a large frying pan over medium heat
- toss in the red onion and garlic, pan fry until golden brown, let them sizzle!
- add the brussel sprouts to the mix, sauté for about five mintues
- throw in the tempeh, followed by the mushrooms
- stir until the brussel sprouts are at a texture to your liking (i prefer mine crisp others like them soft)
- serve them up in a dish, sprinkle with coconut soy oil and a dash of salt and hello tummy!
- for leftovers add in some quinoa or brown rice …. also makes for a great salad atop a bed of rocket (arugula)
With a bowl of 12 grain oats mixed with flax seed and chia seed. Topped with shredded coconut, hemp and blueberries. And oh, don’t forget to drizzle some agave nectar on top!
two lovely pixies picnicking in victoria park. what a great way to dine! did you know that pixies deliver to picnic locations?
fresh and crispy green tacos (recipe inspired by “oh she glows”)
ladies that lunch … a pixie play date in the park.
thursdays are the yummiest days of the week!
the first lunchbox.
I cannot thank you enough for your support and enthusiasm this summer! I am saddened to announce that the Pixie lunch box delivery service has been cancelled for the rest of the summer as I have suffered a broken wing and other calamities that will take approximately 4 to 6 weeks to heal.
What started as a simple idea to prepare and deliver my favourite recipes by bicycle has flourished into a larger vision to establish a county-wide mobile food program. The intention is that it will still be a social enterprise that provides culinary and entrepreneurial training for youth while reaching out to rural neighbourhoods in need of access to fresh food. Developing partnerships with farmers and food entrepreneurs/producers will also promote local food across Northumberland County.
I have had the most meaningful experience piloting the Pedalling Pixies this summer. Customers, business owners, friends and community leaders have been generous with their ideas and conversations. While the season has been cut short I am going to use this time for business plan writing, networking, fundraising and of course continuing to share some delicious recipes! Get ready for next summer — a full fleet of pixies abound!
May the rest of your summer be filled with bike rides and delicious food!
Nic Bea, Owner & Chief Pixie
PS. Should you have any questions or wish to learn more about the Pedalling Pixies please email email@example.com.
NOTICE: Dear customers,
Unfortunately I had a bit of a tumble over the weekend (non-bike related) that clipped one of my wings, which will make it difficult to cook and cycle. As a result I have to cancel the lunch delivery program for this week. Please accept my apologies and thank you for understanding
Nic, Chief Pixie
us pixies, we’re simple folk really. we want to pedal around on our bicycles and deliver good food to good people. we had the chance to do that today with the launch of our homemade lunchbox delivery service. we cannot express our gratitude enough. we’ve received some rad feedback — bring on next week! spread the word and thanks for your support. we’re excited about this little venture. we hope you are too.
until next time … mad love from the pixies xo.
mad thanks to you.
the first lunchbox.
eggless salad sandwich — a vegan’s take on the classic summer bite.
the australian salad … our melbourne classic.